My brother lost his battle to cancer 17 years ago today. Two years ago, I blogged all about my experience. Click here to read it! In memory of him and everyone else who has fought, battled, lost or won, I’m raising money for the Walk for Wishes event. The Tampa Chapter of Make-A-Wish Foundation is hosting the event, May 8th at Curtis Hixon Park in Tampa, FL.
If you’d like to donate to my team, please click here!
Every little bit helps! Here are some facts about wishes:
- Make-A-Wish grants a wish, on average, every 38 minutes and, on average, a child is referred for a wish every 28 minutes.
- Every wish experience is driven by the wish kid’s interests, creativity and personality.
- Make-A-Wish granted nearly 14,000 wishes in 2011 alone.
- Make-A-Wish chapters serve every community in the United States and its territories.
- Make-A-Wish has more than 25,000 active volunteers in the United States.
- Make-A-Wish needs 2.5 billion frequent flier miles to meet all the travel need for wish kids and their families.
- Nearly 70 percent of wish experiences involve travel.
- The Walt Disney Company is involved in 40 percent of the wishes Make-A-Wish grants.
- As of March 2010, the average cost of a wish was $7,025.